Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Some of us did not receive our newsletter in the mail last week! We do not know what happened. I did my part. Kay did her part. The Post Office…Well, we’re trying to find out what happened there. If you are reading this before Sunday, October 10th, I guess everything is back in order now. Anyway, as usual, I try to find a lesson to learn in every situation. Try and think about what it takes to get a gallon of milk into your refrigerator. Grass, water, a cow, a farmer, a barn, milking equipment, storage containers, inspectors, trucks, gasoline, truck drivers, pasteurization processes, a production factory, refrigeration equipment, stores, purchasing agents, store managers, you and me with jobs that pay enough to get to the store and purchase the milk, health to walk back to the milk aisle (You know they always put the milk at the very back of the store.), and then finally, a glass to pour the mile into to drink it (Of course, you should never drink out of the container). I enjoy milk in my cereal, with cookies, with cornbread in it (I know. That sounds gross to some people, but it is really delicious to me) and mixed with ice cream to make a milk shake. I especially enjoy chocolate milk. Back in our not to distant past, getting a glass of milk was not all that complicated. But I won’t get into that that.

NOTE THESE VERY SPECIAL MEETINGS!
Our monthly Men’s and Preachers’ Meeting is scheduled Tuesday, October 19th at 10:00 a.m. here at St. Andrews Road. Our theme for the fall is “Faithful Elders in Every Congregation.” We have looked at the need for faithful elders and the qualifications of faithful elders. This month we will focus our attention on the work of faithful elders. I have the privilege of presenting the program this month. If you have an hour or two on Tuesday the 19th come and meet with us in the fellowship hall. We usually have about 20 or so at the meeting. We begin at 10:00 and close the meeting at 12:00.

The Windsor Lake congregation is hosting a gospel meeting on Friday night and Saturday night, October 15th and 16th at 7:00 p.m. and Sunday afternoon, October 17th at 3:00 p.m. at their facilities at 238 Windsor Pointe Road, Columbia. I have the honor and privilege of preaching three lessons on the theme “He Knows Those Who Are His.” I hope you will come out and support this fine congregation of the Lord’s church.

We will have our annual FALL FESTIVAL here at St. Andrews Road on Saturday, October 23rd. I always enjoy our fall festival. This year we plan to meet at “the sheds” in back of our facilities on St. Andrews Road. We will have a fish fry. Mmmm! Bring a side dish, a drink, and your lawn chairs. Men: This year we will once again test our cooking skills at the Men’s Dessert Cook Off. Gentlemen: Prepare your favorite dessert and see if you can wow the judges. We always have a great time in Christian fellowship.

Our sermons this Sunday morning and evening will once again center on fully committing ourselves to Christ and how we know that we are Christians. I am especially enjoying our Sunday evening series “I Know That I am a Christian Because…” I know that I am a Christian because I am a disciple of Christ (Acts 11:26). I know that I am a Christian because I am persuaded (Acts 26:28). This Sunday evening we will look at the final lesson in this series; “I know that I am a Christian because I sometimes suffer (I Peter 4:16). It’s true. We are sometimes persecuted because of our faith in Jesus Christ. When we suffer because of our faith in Jesus Christ we should rejoice and not be ashamed because we know that we are in good company. Jesus suffered too. Be ready. Be strong. Be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment