Wednesday, February 16, 2011

COMING UP QUICKLY…
South Carolina Statewide Bible Bowl – Next Saturday, February 26
Men’s Fellowship at Gold Hill Road – Saturday, March 12
67th Annual Carolina Lectureships – April 3-6
Annual Ladies Day with Mimi Tate (Texas) – Saturday, April 30

The Lord’s Church – Worshiping God – Preaching the Good News – Singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs – Praying with gratitude for every good gift that comes from above – Giving with joy to help – Sharing Communion together in remembrance of Christ – Bible study that produces growth – Visiting for encouragement – Working for a better life - All the things we do as Christians…Who we are… All these things, Christ, and His word, the Bible is constantly challenged by the blatantly sinful calloused culture in which we live. Every day we have to face the challenges to our faith in God.

This week I spoke with someone who, for the lack of a better, more sophisticated term hates just about everything I love about Christ and His beautiful creation, His church. This person said; “I was brought up in the church, forced to rise up on Sunday morning, forced to sit quietly for worship, forced to attend Bible study, forced to consider Jesus Christ as the Way, the Truth, and the Life.” I asked this person; “How is the life you have chosen working out for you?” The person I spoke with was alone, lonely, bitter, proud, in debt, physically weak, ill, and diseased. And the worst is yet to come, unless this person remembers, repents, and returns to all the things this person was “forced” to consider. I am reminded of the prodigal son in Luke 15. Isn’t it wonderful that he came to his senses and chose a better way, God’s way? The person I spoke with this week can choose another way to live.

The meeting with this individual was tough. The lessons we have been considering this month helped me tremendously. I sanctified (set apart as holy) the Lord God in my heart. I remembered that my hope is in Jesus Christ, not in myself. I remembered that meekness and gentleness is a fruit of the Spirit of God that lives in me and that meekness is a sign of maturity. I remembered that harshness could forever close the door to salvation to this person. I also remembered this coming Sunday morning’s lesson. I must give an answer for my hope with fear, terror, reverence, and respect for God and for what happens to those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ (2 Thessalonians 1:8). The seed has been planted. May His word produce good fruit within this person’s heart!

I have spoken to several of you who have had similar experiences recently and have been helped by the lessons we are learning from God’s word. The word of God is powerful, profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness that the man of God may be perfect (complete, fully mature) thoroughly equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16).

67th Annual Carolina Lectureships
St. Andrews Road Church of Christ
Sunday through Wednesday - April 3 – 6, 2011
9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Theme: “What it means to Preach the Cross of Christ”
Keynote Preacher: David Sain, Fayetteville, Tennessee

No comments:

Post a Comment