Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I Guess I'm Old-Fashioned


     Hello from Enola, Arkansas, from up in the country where the pace of life is a little bit slower and full of the things that make life worth living:  family, friends, and neighbors and people trying to take care of one another.  We care when we give a pat on the back when the job has been done well or a handshake that says everything is okay or maybe, a head-rub that says “I’m proud of you, son” or a little squeeze to say “You are such a fine young woman, daughter” or a swat on the behind to put a little “want to” in the head of the one who didn’t or maybe an elbow nudge when what has been said is enough or maybe even a kick in the pants when such a display of affection is needed.  The world we live in today is certainly different.  People now-a-days think that these things mentioned above can be done through email and texting or maybe through “Facebook” or “Twitter.”  And I guess in a way that might be possible.  How can sitting alone in my room typing on a computer, ipad, or cell phone be “social?”  My, my, am I becoming my dad?  I can hear him in my head saying such things to me only a few short years ago.  I have even heard that there are churches that meet together for worship, not literally, but vicariously through the internet.  There are churches in our area that watch their preacher preach via the internet through their projection system.  Whew!  Not me!  I guess I’m old-fashioned and if so I don’t care to be old-fashioned.
     This Sunday we will take a look at the second part of Jesus’ parable of the lost and found and see what we can learn from the woman who lost one of her ten precious coins, who lit up the house, swept it, and diligently searched until she found what was lost.  We need to follow her example.  We cannot wait to begin the search for what is lost.  Waiting can have eternal consequences.  We must use every available means to find what is lost.  We must search until what is lost is found.  Only then can we rejoice.  I hope every Christian will be gathered together with their fellow Christian brothers and sisters this Sunday.  Will you be there?
     Paul wrote to Timothy in 1 Timothy 6 concerning the things he needed to flee from and concerning those things he needed to pursue.  We must pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, LOVE, patience, and gentleness.  We have considered the first three.  This Sunday evening at Enola we will consider LOVE.  Love is the greatest…period.  God is love.  All will know who we are when we love.  Love covers a multitude of sin.  Love compels us.  Love constrains us.  Love never fails.  We must love God supremely and one another as Christ loves.  That is the way it is.
     Last Sunday at the Enola church of Christ was one of those very special days every preacher hopes and prays for:   big crowd (130), a peaceful reverent time of joyful worship, laughter at just the right moments, the sound of little ones in the background during the service, positive responses, sweet fellowship, and of course I have to mention the delicious lunch we enjoyed in the annex.  I’m so happy to be a Christian and a member of the church of Christ at Enola.  You are my glory and joy (1 Thessalonians 2:20).

No comments:

Post a Comment