Thursday, May 15, 2014

Has God been replaced? Not in my life!


Hello again from up in the country.  58 degrees was the high yesterday, breaking an almost 50 year old record.  Today the heating system is running and I’m wearing a jacket.  No worries though.  We’ll just keep rolling with the changes.  And boy, are we seeing changes in our state, changes that many of us thought would only take place somewhere else, maybe in another country far, far away from the “Bible belt.”  And yet, here we are, experiencing the effects of the desensitization of our consciences by the constant bombardment of a culture of people that is intent on bending and breaking any and every physical, emotional, relational, financial, and spiritual law that God has ordained since creation.  Maybe you think I’m exaggerating or that I’m overstating the current reality in America.  I don’t think I am.
When I lived in Florida, my daughter was in high school in the band.  One of the “privileges” of having a child in the band was the duty to help in the Band Parent Organization as a volunteer.  We all took our place wherever and whenever the band needed support.  I remember working in the concession stand one Friday night and meeting one of the members of the marketing team for Pepsi.  Every other year, I think, Pepsi and Coke would vie for the profitable business of serving their products to the school and the local high school community.  Coke had the privilege for the past six years.  Pepsi was now the incoming provider.  Everything and I mean everything on the school grounds that had the word “Coke” on it had to be removed and replaced with everything that had “Pepsi” on it from vending machines, ice machines, cups, napkins, signs, and symbols to every scoreboard on every athletic field and building.  These companies spent literally thousands if not millions of dollars on having the privilege of selling their products to the school system.  I asked the Pepsi representative I met that Friday night how his company could spend so much effort, time, and money to have that privilege.  His remarks were thought-provoking and somewhat frightening.  He said that if Pepsi could get their products into the hands of the children, preteens, and teenagers at school every day, every week, every year throughout their years of education, then what would you expect them to do after they move on into adulthood?  Answer:  Drink Pepsi, not Coke and eat Pepsi products, not any other brand’s products.  My eyes were opened.
What has been happening in America over the past, say 50 years?  Just like the above illustration, there has been a subtle, ever growing, now drastic change in our culture perpetuated by every mode of the media and embraced by many in positions of authority.  Entertainment has replaced the joy of learning.  Sports often dominate the arts.  Worldliness has replaced godliness.  Sin has replaced righteousness.  In the hearts and minds of too many, God has been replaced.  In my life the joy of learning remains.  I enjoy sports, but not as a replacement for the arts.  I do not love the world or the things it the world.  I love God and seek to follow His word, the Bible.  The world belongs to God and He sustains it and provides for it.  I am in it and enjoy it, but the world isn’t first in my life.  God is alive.  He sees.  He knows.  He hears our prayers.  I am praying now more than at any other time in my life.  I need God’s grace and guidance.  America needs it.  The world needs it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment