Thursday, January 22, 2015

A little bit of Bible for Today! Challenging for sure!


Okay in KY.  How are you this week?  Hope all is well and that your 2015 has gotten off to a great beginning.  Proverbs 3:1-10 is one of my favorite passages from the Bible. 

Verses 1 and 2;  “My son, do not forget my law, but let your heart keep my commands; for length of days and long life and peace they will add to you.”

Don’t you want length of days, a long life, and peace?  I do.  So, we must not forget the laws and the commands of God.  When I fail to meet the conditions of the promises, then I fail to receive the promises.   When I remember God’s law and let my heart keep His commands, then whatever my length of days may be or whatever “long life” may mean and whatever peace can be mine, will be.  Life cannot always be measured in quantity.  A better measure of life could be in quality.

Verse 3 and 4; “Let not mercy and truth forsake you.  Bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart, and so find favor and high esteem in the sight of God and man.”

What do you think it means to “let not mercy and truth forsake you?”  Can mercy and truth actually forsake us, or is it that we forsake mercy and truth?  I guess either way, we must always let mercy and truth show in and through our lives from our hearts like a necklace.  We must never “hide” such valuables from the world.  Our world desperately needs mercy and truth.  When I am merciful and truthful, Solomon says that I am truly successful in life and living.  People will see me as a light to the world and so will God.

Verse 5 and 6; “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”

Sometimes our thoughts and feelings are pretty good.  However, at other times our thinking and what we feel about a situation cannot be trusted.  We can always trust in God, in His ways, His will, and His word, the Bible.  Those who know me know that I am directionally challenged.  I need guidance to a better understanding and on to the right path.  What about you?  When we submit to God’s leadership, to His will, way, and word, to what is right according to Him, He promises to direct our path of life in all that we can be.

Verse 7 and 8; “Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and depart from evil, it will be health to your flesh, and strength to your bones.”

Occasionally I meet someone who is “wise in their own eyes.”  If you ask them, they are wise, knowledgeable, beautiful, prestigious, scholarly, healthy, and of course, humble.  Yeah??  Okay!!?  God would have us be humble, for sure, but humility is never something we can brag about.  The moment we announce our humility is the very moment we cease to be what we are announcing ourselves to be.  I’m looking at myself now and finding that too many times I have been “wise in my own eyes.”  And I am certainly sorry for this.  I want to be healthy and strong.  Therefore, I must submit myself to God, reverence Him for who He is, and never allow evil in my heart and life.

Verse 9 and 10:  “Honor the Lord with your possessions, and with the firstfruits of all your increase; so your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will overflow with new wine.”

What does it mean to honor God with our possessions?  I have time, talents, and treasures.  I honor God with what I have and with who I am when I use these possessions in good and worthwhile ways.  I can’t make a list for you, but I think, maybe, you know whether or not you are honoring God with what you have.  Not too long ago, a Christian brother came into my office to confess that he just could not support the church financially, that it took every dollar he had to pay his bills.  He really wanted to, but simply did not have the funds to do so.  That week he had gone bowling with his family, attended the Friday night football game to support his high school, taken his wife and family out to eat at Olive Garden, and had driven several miles over to watch his favorite college team play their rivals.  I think you get the picture.  I can only see what I can see.  God sees everything.  If I want to have plenty and have my life to be full with blessings, then I must follow God’s instructions.  I must honor Him first, THEN the blessings will be mine.

Enough.  Have a wonderful rest of your week.  I want all that God has for me.  I will honor Him and follow Him.  Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment