Thursday, June 15, 2017

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY 2017 - This Little Child's Dad

My son, Ben gave me this poem with his picture when he was 3 or 4 years old.  He made it especially for me in Bible Class for Father's Day.  I have it hanging in my office to remind me of the privilege of being a father and the responsibility I have to him and to my daughter, Bridget Maxell every day.  I don't know who wrote it, but I'm thankful for the author's reminder of the challenge of being a successful dad.

THIS LITTLE CHILD’S DAD

I may never be as clever as my neighbor down the street.
I may never be as wealthy as some men I’ll meet.
I may never have the fame that other men have had,
But, you know, I’ve just got to be successful as this little child’s dad.

There are certain dreams that I cherish, that I’d like to see come true,
And there are things that I’d like to accomplish before my working day are through.
But the task my heart is set on, is no more passing fad,
I’ve just got to be successful as this little child’s dad.

I may never come to glory and I may never gather gold,
And men may count me as a failure when my business life is told.
But if he who follows after shall be Godly, then I’ll be glad,
Because I’ll know I’ve been successful as this little child’s dad.

It’s the one job that I dream of, it’s the task I think of most,
For if I fail this little child, I’ve nothing else to boast,
For all the gold and wealth I’d gather, my fortune would be sad,
If I failed to be successful as this little child’s dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment