Thursday, January 3, 2019

Three days in - 2019 - So far, so good. God provides. I'm happy about that.

January 3, 2019 - Hello to you on this third day of 2019.  So far so good.  Did you make any “resolutions” for 2019?  Lose weight.  Spend less.  Save some.  Finish what I start.  Clean out the garage.  Be more patient.  Have less “screen time.”  Talk less and listen more.  Have fun.  Be happy.  The other day my youngest grand and I were together running errands trying to check off a list of things that needed to be done:  #1 – Walmart to get items, #2 – Post office to mail a letter, #3 – Lowe’s to return an item that didn’t work, etc.  She had the list and I noticed later that she had added a few items to it from the back seat; #4 – Sing Christmas songs, #5 – Tell jokes, #6 – Play games, #7 – Have fun, #8 – Be happy.  Isn’t it amazing what we can learn from our children?

Proverbs 3:1-6 is one of my favorite passages from the Bible.  Verses 1 and 2; “My son, do not forget my law, but let your heart keep my commands; for length of days and long life and peace they will add to you.”  

Don’t you want length of days, a long life, and peace?  I do.  So, we must not forget the laws and the commands of God.  I receive the promises only when I meet the conditions of the promises.   When I remember God’s law and let my heart keep His commands, then whatever my length of days may be or whatever “long life” may mean and whatever peace can be mine, will be.  Life cannot always be measured in quantity.  A better measure of life could be in quality.

Verse 3 and 4; “Let not mercy and truth forsake you.  Bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart, and so find favor and high esteem in the sight of God and man.”  

What do you think it means to “let not mercy and truth forsake you?”  Can mercy and truth actually forsake us, or is it that we forsake mercy and truth?  I guess either way, we must always let mercy and truth show in and through our lives from our hearts like a necklace.  We must never “hide” such valuables from the world.  Our world desperately needs mercy and truth.  When I am merciful and truthful, Solomon says that I am truly successful in life and living.  People will see me as a light to the world and so will God.

Verse 5 and 6; “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”  

Sometimes our thoughts and feelings are pretty good.  However, at other times our thinking and what we feel about a situation cannot be trusted.  We can always trust in God, in His ways, His will, and His word, the Bible.  Those who know me know that I am somewhat directionally challenged.  I need guidance to stay on the right path.  What about you?  When we submit to God’s leadership, to His will, way, and word, to what is right according to Him, He promises to direct the paths of our life.

Our theme for January on Sunday mornings at Harding Street will be “God’s Power through the Principles of Prayer.”  Do you pray?  Would you say that the church of Christ at Harding Street is a praying church?  When should we pray?  How?  Does prayer matter?  This Sunday (6th) we will focus our attention on the DEMAND that we pray.  Prayer should be first (1 Samuel 12:19-25 – A very interesting aspect of prayer).  Prayer is a command from God (1 Thessalonians 5:17).  Prayer is the way to blessings (James 4:2), the cure for worry (Matthew 7:7-11), and the pathway to peace (Philippians 4:6).  Let us pray.  Great things are on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment