Wednesday, June 16, 2010

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!

I may never be as clever as my neighbor down the street
I may never be as wealthy as some men I’ll meet
I may never have the fame that other men have had
But, you know, I’ve just got to be successful as this little child’s dad.

There are certain dreams I cherish, that I’d like to see come true
There are things I’d like to accomplish before my working days are through
But the task my heart is set on, is no mere passing fad
I’ve just got to be successful as this little child’s dad.

I may never come to glory and I may never gather gold
And men may count me as a failure when my business life is told
But if he who follows after shall be godly, then I’ll be glad
Because I’ll know I’ve been successful as this little child’s dad.

It’s the one job that I dream of. It’s the task I think of most
For if I fail this little child, I’ve nothing else to boast
For all the gold and wealth I’d gather, my fortune would be sad
If I failed to be successful as this little child’s dad

Our lesson from the pulpit this Sunday morning will focus on what we can do to be the best dad’s we can. I’ve entitled this lesson “Being the Best We Can Be.” If you would like to read ahead, read Psalm 127, Romans 15, Proverbs 22:6, and 2 Corinthians 12:14. We can learn a lot about what NOT to do from men like Lot, Eli, and David, but are we really interested in what NOT to do? I’m not! We will look at Romans 15 in a different light to show us just how fathers (the strong) are to bring up their sons and daughters (the weak). We will then look at three important principles from the Bible that we must teach our children. I hope you will be here for this very special lesson from God’s word.

This Sunday evening we will begin a new three lesson series on the question “What must I do to be saved?” This question was asked three times after the death of Jesus with just a little change in form each time it was asked. The men on the Day of Pentecost asked, “What shall we do?” (Acts 2:37). Saul asked, “Lord, what do You want me to do?” (Acts 9:6). The jailor in Philippi asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” (Acts 16:30). In this series I would like to analyze the question to demonstrate three principles: READINESS: Those who asked BELIEVED THEMSELVES TO BE LOST, WILLINGNESS: Those who asked WERE WILLING TO DO WHATEVER GOD ASKED THEM TO DO, not what they, themselves wanted to do, and ABLIITY: Those who asked truly DESIRED THE ANSWER, THE TRUTH and were able to obey what they heard.

Mark your calendar for our summer Vacation Bible School scheduled for Sunday evening (July 11th) through Thursday evening (July 15th) at 6:30 p.m. Let’s make this year’s VBS the best one yet! We will have special classes for every age, children, teens, and adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment