Wednesday, June 9, 2010

It’s that time of year – SUMMERTIME! I just love vacations, cookouts, family and friends coming and going, working and playing outside, weddings, camp (when I was younger), and Vacation Bible School! Our VBS has been scheduled for Sunday evening through Thursday evening, July 11th through 15th. It’s going to be great! This summer will be especially great for the Burleson family because of our new arrival, Lillian Kate Burleson expected any moment. Please pray for Lyndsee and Ben as they await the arrival of their daughter.

This Sunday morning’s sermon is entitled “All Means All.” We will look again at the Great Commission in Matthew 28:18-20 and see that Christ has all authority. We will see that every Christian is commissioned to go and make disciples of all nations, that we must observe and teach others to observe all things that have been commanded us, and that Christ is with us always. Salvation is our most precious possession. May we always be ready to share the good news of salvation in Christ wherever, however, whenever, and with whoever we can.

Our Sunday evening sermon is entitled “There is No Other.” If you would like to read ahead, read Ephesians 4:1-6. Note the “One’s” in this text. For example: There is ONE BODY (4). There is no other. There is ONE SPIRIT. There is no other. There is ONE HOPE. There is no other. You see? We will take a look at these facts of life and remember what Jesus said in John 14:6.

Take a look again at David’s prayer in Psalm 51:1-17 and note the wages of sin, then remember the gift of salvation in Christ Jesus.

“Have mercy on me, O God according to Your lovingkindness; according to the multitude of You tender mercies. Blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin (Sin dirties our soul). For I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is always before me (Sin dominates our mind). Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Your sight – that You may be found just when You speak, and blameless when You judge (Sin dishonors God). Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me. Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts, and in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me hear joy and gladness (Sin depresses our heart), that the bones You have broken may rejoice (Sin diseases our body). Hide Your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit. Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, and sinners shall be converted to You (Sin destroys our testimony). Deliver me from the guilt of blood shed, O God, the God of my salvation, and my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness. O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall show forth Your praise. For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit (Sin defiles our spirit), a broken and contrite heart – these, O God, You will not despise.

Oh, my friend! Please obey the gospel of Jesus Christ so that you can be set free from sin (Romans 6:16-23).

No comments:

Post a Comment