Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It’s me again, back into my somewhat normal schedule of studying, writing, preaching, visiting, spending as much time as I can with the grandchildren, and blogging. Cindi and I made the move back to Arkansas from our home for the past five years in Columbia, South Carolina. We moved to Enola, Arkansas, out in cattle country about 20 miles outside of Conway three weeks ago. Life is good, slow, quiet, and peaceful. Country life is definitely different from city life. This morning at 7:00 a.m. my neighbor’s dog, Molly was lying in the middle of the road enjoying the beautiful morning and only slowly moved from the oncoming lane when a farmer in a pickup truck loudly sounded his horn. Can you believe the nerve of some people? A couple of days ago a deer was grazing on some of the grass in my front yard while at the same time a rabbit was enjoying the back yard.

Yesterday I was set to repair the drain under our bathroom sink. I thought I had everything I needed. You know how it is. Lowe’s in only a mile or two away, right? Wrong! More like 20 miles away! Now we have a country store just up the road from our house, so I jumped into my Dodge to see if they had the 1 ¼ inch fitting I needed. Nope! Only 1 ½ inch fittings. There were three older gentlemen sitting on the bench just outside the store. One of them asked me if I was able to get what I needed. We talked for a minute or two and he said, “Follow me. I think I have just what you need.” I did. He did. The drain is working just fine now. I asked him what I owed him. “Not a thing” he said, only come by and visit with us sometime.” I will.

The church of Christ in Enola is a group of about 150 Christians who are very kind, loving, and hard-working. The population of Enola is 188 according to the sign posted on the highway as you drive into town. I am honored to be a member of the congregation. I am especially honored that they have asked me to work alongside of them as their minister and friend. God has always provided for Cindi and me in every way. We are thankful. I am thankful.

I am especially thankful to be closer to my daughter, my son, and my three grandchildren. When we were in Columbia, SC we were about 800 miles away from them. I missed too many birthdays, too many soccer games, too many dance recitals, too many teachable moments, too many hugs and kisses, too many scraped knees that needed a bandaide, and too many questions that needed answers, answers that can only come from a grandfather. Yesterday I spent a few hours with my two oldest grandchildren. We sat on the back porch for at least a half an hour just watching two humming birds fighting over the nectar in the hummingbird feeders.

To my fellow Christian brothers and sisters at St. Andrews Road in Columbia, SC, thank you for allowing me to work with you for the past five years. God blessed us all tremendously with physical and spiritual blessings. He is still blessing us even though we are apart. I will be at St. Andrews Road this weekend to perform the wedding ceremony of my dear friends, Jerry Satterfield and Shirley Dockray. I will also be preaching at both assemblies at SAR on Sunday. What a joy it is to be a Christian and know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment