Friday, June 29, 2012

     Whew!  I don’t remember our weather being this dry or hot with records being set all across the nation.  Even with the terribly dry, hot weather we have enjoyed a good week up in the country.  The new intersection at 36 and 107 is almost completed with new asphalt, new landscaping, and a much safer way to drive either to Enola or through Naylor to Mount Vernon.  In Enola the city workers have been cleaning out the ditches on both sides of Highway 107 in preparation for the rains that will soon be headed our way.  God will provide for our needs in His time.  The grasshoppers have invaded our fields, yards, and gardens.  Of course, at least at my house, the birds are enjoying the feast.  I keep watering my garden hoping to save it while at the same time dusting to keep the pests away.  “Farming” is tough!   Let’s be very careful.  Drink plenty of liquids during the day.  Try to stay inside as much as possible.  Let’s check on the elderly and pay special attention to our children. 
      Our Sunday morning series will conclude this Sunday with the final lesson “Useful and Fruitful – No Prejudice.”  We have looked at three obstacles that often keep us from being useful and fruitful:  excuses, fear, and regret.  Prejudice can also hinder our usefulness and our fruitfulness for Christ.  We will define prejudice.  We will identify this obstacle.  We will then consider just how prejudice leaves us useless and fruitless.  Jesus teaches about prejudice in the Parable of the Good Samaritan.  What do you suppose the Priest and the Levite might say to Jesus to justify their behavior toward the man who had fallen prey to those robbers?  I might not know him.  He might not be a member of the church of Christ.  He probably deserved what he got.  He’s probably too injured to survive.  I might get my hands dirty.  He’s probably not even from Faulkner County.  Therefore, I’ll just ease on by and maybe someone else more qualified than me will come along to help.
     On Sunday evening we will consider another way that we know that we are Christians.  I know that I am a Christian because:  I am a disciple, I am persuaded, and sometimes I am called to suffer.  Jesus suffered.  The Apostles suffered.  Our forefathers suffered.  Every Christian suffers at some point because of their faith in Christ Jesus.  I know that I am a Christian because sometimes I suffer.  Peter tells us that we should live our lives so that we never suffer as an evildoer and thus be ashamed.  We should live our lives righteously and justly.  We may suffer for Christ, but our suffering will never cause shame.
     I look forward to seeing every member of the Enola church of Christ this coming Sunday morning for worship, Bible study, and fellowship together.  We have a beautiful building that is cool and comfortable.  We have Christian brothers and sisters who really need our support and encouragement.  We also need their support and encouragement.  Also, just about every week we have guests from our area to visit with us.  They are searching for the hope that we enjoy.  They so need the salvation that only comes through faith in Jesus Christ and in obedience to the gospel.  Let’s look beyond our own needs, ideas, feelings, and personal interests to the needs of others.  To God be glory today, tomorrow, and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment