Friday, August 15, 2014

School is about to Begin - Ready...Set...Go!


Hello again from up in the country, Enola, Arkansas and your friend and gospel preacher, Mickey Burleson and the Enola Church of Christ.  Well, our teachers and students have a couple of days and then it’s back to the old school routine, up early, gone all day, back home tired out, and in bed early.  We all need to remember to be a little more patient with each other until we get acclimated to our new way of life.  Organization always helps make the transition easier.  My parents always had us lay out our school clothes each night before we retired to bed.  Taking a bath or shower at night gives us a little more time to sleep.  Eating a good breakfast makes the school day and work day better.  I’m not necessarily talking about a “big” breakfast.  I am talking about eating something nutritious and lasting to start the day off right.  Cindi and I have been eating fruit and nut smoothies in the morning with a piece of toast or bagle.  I make the smoothie in our “Ninja” blender while Cindi is getting ready.  Fresh fruit is always good if we have it, but if not I put in frozen strawberries, peaches, blueberries, mango, almonds or some other nut, a small amount of oats, and a little yogurt and some almond milk and maybe a little orange juice for a little bit of tangy flavor and a few ice cubes.  Delicious!!  As a matter of fact, I could eat (or drink) one right now.  It’s quick, nutritious and delicious. 

Speaking of food; man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.  Jesus said that when He was being tempted and was very hungry.  How are you doing when it comes to reading, studying, thinking about, applying, and sharing God’s word, the Bible?  I read the Bible every day.  This “spiritual food” sustains my soul (the real me) and helps me with life’s difficulties.  God’s word is indeed a lamp to my feet and a light to my path (Psalm 119:106).  God’s word makes my faith stronger (Romans 10:17).  God’s word is true.  This fact may be the reason few people read it.  In the Bible book of James, we find that the Bible is a mirror.  When we read it, we are seeing ourselves as we really are, just like when we look into the mirror in the morning before we depart for school or work.  I look pretty silly in the morning.  The other morning my youngest granddaughter told me that I had “crazy hair.”  Well, I took a little time with some water, hair gel, and a brush and I was ready for the day.  No more crazy hair.  Sometimes I have “crazy hair” in my life.  The Bible directs me to make the changes in myself that need to be made to be the man I need to be for God, for my family, and for others.  I’m glad God gave us His word in a book, the Bible.  Are you reading it?

This Sunday morning at Enola we will be studying about Paul’s Greatest Desire – To Win Christ, To be found IN Him, To KNOW Him, To know the POWER of His Resurrection, and To know the Fellowship of His Sufferings.  We’re on lesson four.  On Sunday evening we meet at 5:00.  We are looking at Jesus Parable of the Prodigal Son.  This younger son began the journey of sin, went on the journey to the far country, wasted his time, treasures, and talents on sin, was humiliated by sin, and was lost in sin.  We have studied the first few lessons and will now study about the “lost-ness of sin.”  I am so very happy that this young man “came to himself” and came home to what is good and right.  If you are somewhere in the way of sin, come to yourself and come home to God.  Jesus said it best in Matthew 11:28-30.

No comments:

Post a Comment