Thursday, December 6, 2018

There is much to do. There is work on every hand. Here am I send me.

December 6, 2018 – Christmas is only 19 days away.  Then “Happy New Year – 2019” is next up.  What will the new year hold for you and me, for us at Harding Street church of Christ?  I’m thinking about all the wonderful times we’re going to have as a Christian family; the tremendous opportunities for service, fellowship, and growth that will be presented to us and the many and various challenges that await us, challenges that will strengthen our faith, revive our hope, and lead us to a deeper and fervent love for one another and for our Savior Jesus Christ.  I’m thinking about, praying for, and planning for the many people who will walk through these doors at 906 E. Harding Street to hear the gospel, see that gospel lived out in our community by the church, and then want to have what we have.  I’m praying for you and me, that we will look at the world through the eyes of Jesus to see their need for salvation in Christ and show and share His invitation with them.  We can do this.  One day at a time.  And of course, LORD WILLING.  Jesus promised His return.  He didn't say when.  So we must plan for tomorrow and prepare for and stay prepared for His return, maybe today.

At Harding Street are continuing in our plan to establish a solid foundation for the church in the appointment of elders.  

This Sunday, December 9 – I will be in Louisville, Kentucky at the Watterson Trail congregation preaching on Sunday morning and afternoon, then officiating a wedding.  Brother Bane will announce the names of those who have been recommended by the church to be the next eldership at Harding Street at the morning worship hour.

(The church will have 2 weeks for prayer, consideration, and discussion as to the qualification or disqualification of those recommended.  REMEMBER – God has given us the qualities we should look for in the elders who will lead us and serve us.  There are no perfect men.  We are looking for men who love God, His church, His word, the saved and the lost.)

Sunday, December 23, Lord willing – The Official Appointment of Elders of the Harding Street Church of Christ.  During the sermon time on Sunday morning we will officially appoint those you have recommended and approved to the eldership at Harding Street.

Plans are to begin the process of recommending and appointing deacons as soon as we get the eldership appointed.  “There is much to do.  There is work on every hand.  Hark!  The cry for help comes ringing through the land.  Jesus calls for reapers, I must active be.  What wilt Thou, O Master?  Here am I, send me.  Here am I, Lord, send me.  Here am I.  Ready at thy bidding, Lord send me.”  You probably recognize this hymn # 693 in our books.  Like me, you have probably sung this hymn many times.  We must not only sing this hymn, but believe it and apply it to our lives.  Will you, will I “be active” and answer Jesus’ call for help with a resounding, “Here am I, send me?”  I will.

Come by the teen class room when you have a chance and note the new decorations on the wall in the corner.  Katie Chapman started something new and exciting.  She was the first to place here handprint on the wall along with her name and the date of her baptism, December 2, 2018.  The other class members followed suit.  To those who have not made your decision yet to confess Jesus as Lord and Savior and put Him on in baptism:  Just keep listening, reading, thinking, and moving forward.  When the time is right for you to believe and obey Christ, just do it.  I am ready to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment