Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How about this beautiful fall Arkansas weather? I can barely remember what 110 degrees feels like now. Consider the following thoughts from a lesson I preached recently at Liberty on Highway 64. My topic was “Jesus Keeps Blessing Me Over and Over Again – But How?”

God blesses His creation simply because He is the Creator and Father of all. He blesses us with life, sunshine and rain, gravity, the change of seasons, the air that we breathe, and the capacity to breathe. God made the world and everything in it. He gives to all life, breath, and all things. He has made from one blood every nation of men. In Him we live and move and have our being. Paul spoke these things to the Athenians. Luke wrote them for all to read and believe in Acts 17:24-28.

God extends some blessings only to those who are in a right relationship with Him, to those who love Him and are following Him. Consider Romans 8:28. “Now we know that all things work together for good…” This promise that everything will work out just fine is made to whom? To all creation? No. God promises that everything will work out just fine to those who love Him, to those who are the called according to His purpose. Consider Psalm 1. God promises blessings to the one who does not walk in the counsel of the ungodly, to the one who does not stand in the path of sinners, and to the one who does not sit in the seat of the scoffer. He offers this blessing to the one who delights in the law of the Lord and meditates on that law day and night. Prosperity is promised to this one. Consider Psalm 23. All the blessings of this psalm: green pastures, still waters, soul restored, leadership in the paths of righteousness, comfort walking through the valley of the shadow of death, comfort in view of a rod and staff, provision in the midst of enemies, an anointed head, a cup that overflows, the surety of goodness and mercy every day, and heaven are promised to the one whose shepherd is the Lord. Consider Mark 16:16. Salvation is promised to those who believe and are baptized. I could go on and on with many more examples from the Bible of blessings promised and delivered to those who choose God through His Son Jesus Christ.

Jesus keeps blessing me over and over again because I live one day at the time. Too many people try to live three days at the time. They try to live today while at the same time reliving and regretting yesterday and also at the same time looking into tomorrow with fear and doubt.

Jesus keeps blessing me over and over again because I count my many blessings every day rather than focus on my sorrows. Ephesians 3:20-21 says, “Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.” I am richly blessed every day. We all are. Why not count those blessings and rejoice in them rather than look over those blessings to focus on my disappointments?

Jesus keeps blessing me over and over again because I have decided to be optimistic. Do you know that we usually feel, learn, find, and become what we expect to feel, learn, find, and become? Paul said, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13).

My grand daughter, Faryn made me a very special creation from construction paper, crayons, and tape. The words on the creation hanging from my dressing room mirror say, “God Morning.” Of course she meant to say “Good Morning.” She tried to add another “o” to “God” but I like the first creation better. Every morning should be and is a “God Morning.”

No comments:

Post a Comment